Agile Product Owner
Location is FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for an agile product owner to guide the success of a high-functioning team of software developers.
FlightAware processes over 180 million incoming messages an hour from over 22,000 individual data feeds—over 150 gigabytes a day and growing—to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry. And over 15 million people a month rely on our website and apps to make intelligent decisions about travel.
This role offers career growth to Product Manager.
Your primary responsibility will be to connect the product goals of FlightAware with its technical implementation and ensure that the team is working on the right thing at the right time. You’ll also:
- Motivate the team with clear, elevating goals.
- Communicate with FlightAware’s leadership to understand the company’s big-picture goals and ongoing projects.
- ￼Serve as primary point of contact for non-technical people throughout FlightAware.
- Work closely with project managers, technical leads, and software developers to decide what to build.
- Work closely with other product owners to prioritize cross-team work.
- Gather requirements and write well-defined, detailed, and actionable user stories and tasks. Resolve questions from developers and designers.
- Participate in team stand-ups and drive sprint planning meetings.
- Own the product backlog. Prioritize work. Ensure all stories are shaped up before estimation. Write acceptance criteria for each prioritized story.
- Formally accept stories completed by the development team.
- You have 5+ years of hands-on experience working with Agile teams as a product owner or scrum master.
- You have Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence. You possess a willingness to empower and inspire commitment and a positive attitude in a team.
- You have proven expertise in Agile, Scrum, and Kanban. You are familiar with the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- You have a track record of making sound business decisions based on tradeoffs between cost and benefit, and driving to quality results.
- You have a proven ability to translation product vision into refined stories for development teams.
- You have strong verbal and written communication practices. You have a demonstrated ability to represent your team and the work to audiences with differing levels of technical fluency. You present effectively in a group setting.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively. You require little direction.
- You have working understanding of the aviation industry, or better yet, are a pilot or student pilot.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Eligibility for performance-based bonuses
- Matching 401(k)
- Company-paid employee medical, dental and basic life/AD&D insurance
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. Our kitchen is always stocked with snacks and beverages. You also get to use top-of-the-line Apple computers. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Agile Product Owner - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.