Software Development Manager—Web
Location is FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a software development manager to lead a high-functioning team of web developers. FlightAware processes over 180 million incoming messages an hour from over 22,000 individual data feeds—over 150 gigabytes a day and growing—to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry. And over 15 million people a month rely on our website and apps to make intelligent decisions about travel.
This role will grow to include additional management responsibilities. This position offers career growth to Senior Manager.
Your primary responsibilities will be to the people on your team—to support, coach, and challenge them. You’ll also:
- Lead knowledge sharing and ensure the team creates and maintains best practices.
- Ensure project execution and quality. Create and meet metrics for success.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems.
- Lead and support a culture of collaboration, critique, and candid feedback.
- Create strong and collaborative partnerships with developers and business stakeholders.
- Work with the HR recruiting team to interview, onboard, and retain top talent.
- You have 5+ years of engineering management for productive, high functioning teams. You have a proven ability to excel in a people leadership role.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training or work experience.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence. You possess a willingness to empower and inspire commitment and a positive attitude in a team.
- You love helping your team develop new skills and advance their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- You know Agile methodologies and best practices, but are pragmatic and not doctrinaire. You demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset.
- You have strong verbal and written communication practices. You have a demonstrated ability to represent your team and the work to audiences with differing levels of technical fluency.
- You have worked successfully in a small company, entrepreneurial environment. You are a self-starter. You can consider changing conditions and conflicting constraints, make effective decisions, and execute.
- A Pilot certificate (even student) a plus.
Salary varies based on experience
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Software Development Manager—Web - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.